5.19.2006

the one with the chemlawn guy, the UPS man, & the vulcan

Today I had lunch with my mom, and as were were heading back to my office we saw the Tru-Green Chemlawn guy. He was driving around, obviously lost, and with his back door wide open. I waved at him and yelled to him to let him know about his door. He got out of the truck and came over to our car. He thanked us for letting him know, and then my mom asked him what address he was searching for. I happened to be on the phone with my Dad (Mr. UPS "I know all addresses" extrodinaire), so I asked him where this particular street was. Dad told me where that street was near, I told Mr. Chemlawn and we drove off.

Well, Dad wasn't satisfied with his answer, so he got out a map to find the exact place. I'm like "Dad, we're gone, we've left Mr. Chemlawn." He's still scouring the map. He finds the exact location of this yard awaiting to be Chemlawned and starts rattling it off. Once again, "Dad, we already left the guy, it's over." Dad has other plans for us though, he says, "Go find him!" So, mom and I turn around and find Mr. Chemlawn. Now, at this point this guy probably thinks we're crazy or that I was trying to hit on him (believe me, I wasn't). We flag him down AGAIN, and put him on the phone with my dad, who gives him exact directions. Mr. Chemlawn utters all of two words "Hello?" and "Thanks." Very monotone. When I get back on the phone with dad I comment on how the guy didn't seem very enthusiastic or thankful about the whole deal. This conversation follows:

Dad: "Yeah, he was pretty emotionless. Did he have pointed ears?"

Me: "Umm...No."

Dad: "Oh, well I thought maybe he was a vulcan. Vulcan's don't have emotions."

I love my dad. It never fails that a conversation with him will involve a reference to Star Trek, Star Wars, or classic rock.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your dad too. What an awesome dad to reference Star Trek! Tell him he's the coolest!

5/19/2006 2:10 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Can I puh-LEASE meet your family?? I think I just might fit in. :)

5/19/2006 11:46 PM  
Blogger katie said...

You would definitely fit in, A-Dog. We're all parrot heads right? :)

5/20/2006 12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to our father we now do the same thing. My poor son probably doesn't have a chance....I have already passed it along to him as well. Then again, it has even rubbed off on my husband...apparently no blood line needed! Be afraid...be very afraid!

5/22/2006 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home